Whether it's Fiesta Friday or Taco Tuesday, this dish is perfect for satisfying my family's craving for Mexican food. I tweaked this recipe based on many others I've seen and used over the years to make it my own. It really is a dish that can easily be modified to suit exactly what you love.
- 5 tbsp taco seasoning (you could use store-bought seasoning, or mix together spices and herbs you have in your home)
- 1 lbs or 450g ground mock meat of your choice
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 zucchini squash, diced
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1/2 cucumber, diced
- 1 1/2 cups capsicum any color, diced
- 1 1/2 cups cucumber any variety, diced
- 1-1 1/2 cups tomatoes, diced
- 1 avocado peeled, pitted and diced
- 1 small can sliced black olives
- 10 oz or 4 cups romaine lettuce, washed and cut
- 1/2 cup canned black beans drained, rinsed
- 10 oz or 4 cups tortilla chips crushed OR whole tortilla chips on the side
- 1 small handful cilantro chopped (optional)
In a sauté pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the yellow onions and zucchini and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Add the ground mock meat and taco seasoning and cook until done, stirring around frequently. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
In a large bowl, combine all the remaining ingredients. Toss together evenly. Once the meat has cooled almost to room temperature, add it and mix until everything is coated evenly. Serve immediately.