Oscar Tschirky created this salad sometime between 1893 and 1896 at the Waldorf Hotel, the precursor of the now Waldorf-Astoria Hotel, in Midtown East. From NYC Vegan, copyright © 2017 by Michael Suchman and Ethan Ciment. Used by permission. Photo by Jackie Sobon.
To check out more recipes from VeganMos, pick up a copy of their recipe book NYC Vegan!
Active time: 20 mins
- 1/2 cup non-dairy mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 3 medium Gala, Fuji, or other red sweet apples, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup seedless red grapes, halved
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, sugar, lemon juice, and salt. Stir in the apples, celery, walnuts, and grapes. Chill until ready to serve.