It’s the holiday season and pumpkin is still in season, so instead of making a typical pumpkin pie this year, I created some pumpkin chocolate chip cookie shots with egg nog. These are extremely fun and I always get questions about how I even make them and its easy, with cookie moulds! If you don’t have yourself some cookie moulds, you can use shot glasses which are a lot more work but it's fun if it’s your first time. I’d recommend giving them a go without moulds for the first time just so you can appreciate how easy it becomes once you get proper cookie moulds.
I’ve made cookie shots many of times for guests and they're always a hit. I can honestly say they have never gotten negative reviews, although I’ve personally always thought of ways I would have improved the recipe after eating them - but that’s why we repeat recipes until perfected! Since I love baking and most people I know have a sweet tooth, enjoy this simple and fun cookie shot recipe for the holidays.
Serves: 8 - 10
Active time: 60 mins
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 to 1 full cup of dry sugar, adjust sweetness to your liking (I used coconut sugar which is less sweet, so it required much more than half a cup)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 vegan egg (I use Bob's Redmill gluten free egg replacer)
- 1 can of pumpkin puree
- 1 bag of vegan chocolate chips (for baking & melting later in recipe)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp pumpking spice
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- Mix your vegan egg and set aside (or use 1 tbsp flax seed to 3 tbsp water)
- Mix all dry ingredients together in one bowl (including 1 cup of chocolate chips)
- Mix all remaining wet ingredients into another bowl
- Once your vegan egg is set, add to wet mixture and then combine dry & wet into the same bowl
- Once your dough takes shape, taste test to see if its sweet enough, if not add more sugar until you’re happy with it
- If you don’t have cookie moulds, use shot glasses of any kind, the bigger the better and do not forget to grease each shot glass
- If you’re not using cookie moulds: push your cookie dough down and press into the sides of the glass until shape takes form. Smooth out the top so it's plush. You have to work your own magic here if you’re not using cookie moulds
- Place your shots (if not using moulds) onto a baking tray and place into the oven at 350F/180C for 18 minutes
- Let cool for 10 minutes and then remove cookies from moulds or shot glasses carefully. Place on cooling rack until completely cool
- Melt the entire rest of your bag of chocolate chips over a glass bowl and boiling water (or you can use your microwave but I don’t use one). Once it starts to break down, keep mixing your chocolate until the chips are completely melted. Take a small brush and coat the inside of the shots with your melted chocolate. This will seal them entirely so you can then pour liquid into them once the chocolate has set.
- Once your cookies have completely set, you can finish off with whichever liquid you prefer. Since it's the holidays, I used egg nog in mine. Enjoy!