This is a very simple and smoky marinade for tempeh which goes great to replace bacon on a BLT.
BLT Tempeh Sandwich
Active time: 15 min + marinade time
- 12 oz tempeh
- 2 c water
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp liquid smoke
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 Slices of Bread per sandwich, enough for 3-4
- vegan mayo
- 1 tomato
- 1 avocado
- 2-4 romaine lettuce leaves
- CREATE MARINADE: In a tupperware, or gallon bag, mix together the water, tomato paste, soy sauce, maple syrup and liquid smoke. This is your marinade.
- MARINATE TEMPEH: Slice the tempeh into thin slices (about 1 cm). Place into bag. Seal and put bag in fridge for 3-24 hours to marinate.
- PAN SEAR: Heat up a pan with 2 tbsp of olive oil. Cook the tempeh on both sides for about 3-5 min each side.
- STACK BLT: Stack your BLT with bread, vegan mayo, tempeh bacon, tomato slices, lettuce and sliced avocado.