Photo: Charlotte Mei
Mushroom Soup Recipe by Charlotte Mei
A low-effort high-reward, creamy-without-cream mushroom soup that you’d want to keep in your arsenal of go-to recipes! It comes together in 30 minutes, and it is full of flavor. I like it because it is guaranteed to fill you up, yet doesn’t have the heaviness of a soup containing cream.
Feel free to use any mushrooms you have on hand. I used a mixture of white button, Swiss brown, and oyster mushrooms.
- Makes: 3-4 Servings
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 5 garlic cloves
- 3-5 sprigs fresh thyme
- 500g mushrooms, sliced
- 900ml vegetable stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil. Add the onion, garlic and thyme, and cook until the onion is soft and translucent.
- Add in the mushrooms, and let the mushrooms soften and sweat.
- Add the stock and stir. Once the mixture has reached a boil, reduce it to a simmer for 20 minutes.
- Season to taste, and leave it to cool before blending.
- To blend, use either an immersion blender for a chunkier finish, or a high-speed blender if you prefer something creamier.
- Serve with some sautéed mushrooms, fresh thyme, and your favourite crusty bread.