(Photograph by Nassima Rothaker)
Barbecued lettuce is a really delicious way to do something different with lettuce, other than using it in salad. If you don’t have BBQ equipment, a chargrill pan will work just as well. Just ensure it is as hot as can be.
BBQ Baby Gem
with sweet corn pudding, BBQ onions and kimchi dressing
Active Time: 2 hrs
Making the sweetcorn pudding
- 4 cobs sweetcorn
- 1 onion, peeled and halved
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 bunch of thyme
- 1/2 bunch of tarragon, leaves picked and chopped, stalks retained
- 50g non-dairy butter
- 100g coconut milk
- 50g non-dairy melting cheese, grated
- Sea salt
- Freshly milled black pepper
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Begin by cutting the kernels off the sweetcorn.
- Place the corn husks in a large saucepan and cover with water.
- Add the onion, bay leaf, tarragon stalks and thyme to the pan.
- Place over a high heat and bring to the boil for 30 minutes.
- Strain off the liquid and place into another saucepan.
- Bring to the boil and leave to reduce until you have 400ml of liquid remaining.
- Place the butter in a large frying pan and add the corn kernels, seasoning well with salt and pepper.
- Cook through then remove half of the kernels.
- Add the reduced corn stock and coconut milk to the frying pan and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Blend until smooth then add to the cooked sweet corn kernels, with the tarragon.
- Place into an ovenproof casserole and top with the grated cheese and black pepper.
- Bake for 16 minutes until golden and heated through.
Making the onion wedges
- 1 tbsp onion seeds
- 25g plain flour
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely micro-planed
- 2 red onions peeled and cut into 6 wedges each
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 tbsp mustard powder
- 1/2 tbsp smoked paprika
- Mix the onion seeds, flour, mustard powder, garlic and smoked paprika together.
- Add a good amount of salt and pepper.
- Coat the onion wedges in the mix and drizzle with oil.
- Heat the BBQ or griddle pan until hot, then grill the onions on all sides until golden and cooked through, approximately 12-15 minutes.
Making the kimchi dressing
- 100g kimchi
- 50g coconut milk
- 1/2 tbsp xanthan gum
- Place all of the ingredients in a blender and blend until a thick sauce consistency has formed. Season to taste.
Making the baby gem
- 6 baby gem
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- Cut each baby gem in half lengthways.
- Drizzle with oil and season well then grill until golden on the outside and almost cooked through, approximately 6-8 minutes.