(Photography by Nassima Rothaker)
This version of pan con tomate is more of an English take on the much loved Spanish classic as it is more of a tomato and garlic infused French toast. Whilst this makes a good starter, or lunchtime dish, it also makes a great brunch.
Pan Con Tomate
Active time: 15 min
- 250ml tomato juice
- 50ml aquafaba
- Dash of tabasco
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and microplaned
- Sea salt
- Freshly milled black pepper
- 4 slices sourdough
- 1 tbsp non-dairy butter
- 50ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1 tsp rice wine vinegar
- 400g Heirloom tomatoes, sliced
- Micro basil cress, to garnish
- Whisk together the tomato juice, aquafaba, tabasco, garlic, salt and pepper and place in a shallow dish large enough to fit the sourdough slices, side by side.
- Place the sourdough into the liquid and leave for 10 minutes.
- Gently turn over and leave for another 10 minutes, until all the liquid has been absorbed.
- Heat your non-dairy butter in a large frying pan over a moderately high heat. When hot, add the slices of soaked sourdough. Colour well on each side.
- Place the oil, garlic and rice wine vinegar in a bowl. Season with salt and mix well.
- Serve the toast with the tomatoes on top, seasoned well with salt and pepper, and garnished with the micro basil.